By Joan Bergstrom—I use Gmail.com as my email address destination because it has so many outstanding features for notaries and in particular for loan signers. I think Google has a huge advantage with their Gmail Internet mailing.
What are some of the features Gmail has that I like so much?
- Gmail is completely free and no longer requires an “invitation” to join. You can get signed up in a matter of minutes. Put www.gmail.com in your browser and away you go.
- It has unlimited space available and their theory is you will never have to delete a message unless you choose to do so. You Archive all messages you no longer want on your screen. What this means to us as loan signers is we don’t have to delete a previous loan package and can reference the loan package should there be a need. This assumes you have the only access to your computer. If other people had access to my computer I would delete the loan package after the signing for security purposes. This is just my personal opinion.
- So many of our edocs are arriving in several PDF attachments and once again Gmail has made it easy for us to handle these PDF attachments. Click on the “open all attachments at once” and it lines the attachments up on one page and all you have to do click on each attachment and the file instantly opens up for us. This saves us a lot of wasted time.
- Its Search window is one of its best features; all you have to do to find every email document sent/or received by you, is put the name in Search and it will bring every document with that name to the Search window. Say you’re looking for the “Miller docs” you type in Miller and all the emails sent or received with that reference will appear in chronological order in the Search window. No more overlooking an email and having to return to the borrower’s home to get additional loan papers signed!
- Attaching files is done in an instant. It takes approximately 2 seconds to attach files.
There are many other features I could mention but these are what I particularly fine useful as a loan signer.
I use another email addres and then forward all messages to Gmail. I use the other address because so much of my existing advertising includes that address. If nothing else I would suggest you open up a Gmail account and forward all the loan documents to it just for the ease of opening up the PDF attachments.